Invitation from Lætitia Avrot
Lætitia is hosting for the second time, and the topic is sure to get a great discussion going – just like the first time she hosted and the conversation really Triggered some healthy debate. 🙂
Lætitia’s invitation and challenge
It’s sometimes difficult to find a great topic and I like the kind of topics where there is no consensus. This one is a little particular: in my humble opinion, the database community has a consensus, it’s that developers don’t agree.
Let’s organize a debate between database people and developers! I hope this will lead to great conversation and better understanding between those two groups!
Without further ado, here is the topic of the month: UUDI! In particular, I’d like to hear about (feel free to embrace the subject and not follow this guide):
- Your use case (why do you absolutely need them)
- The problems you encountered (including performance issues and how you solved them)
- what kind of UUID do you use?
- what are your internal rules about them (all UUIDs, mix between regular IDs and UUIDs, no IDs) and how and why you came up with
- UUIDs with sharding
- sorting UUIDs
- extension you might use
- any other thing related to UUIDs